For Professionals

Clinical Info

For healthcare professionals
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
PerioChip® should not be used in any patient who has a known sensitivity to chlorhexidine. Anaphylaxis, as well as serious allergic reactions, have been reported during postmarketing use with dental products containing chlorhexidine.

Microbiology

Chlorhexidine gluconate is active against a broad spectrum of microbes. The chlorhexidine molecule, due to its positive charge, reacts with the microbial cell surface, destroying the integrity of the cell membrane, penetrating into the cell and precipitating the cytoplasm which leads to cell death. Studies with PerioChip® showed reductions in the numbers of the putative periodontopathic organisms Porphyromonas (Bacteriodes) gingivalis, Prevotella (Bacteriodes) intermedia, Bacteriodes forsythus, and Campylobacter rectus (Wolinella recta)

following placement of the chip. No overgrowth of opportunistic organisms or other adverse changes

in the oral microbial ecosystem were noted.
The relationship of the microbial findings to clinical outcome has not been established.