For Professionals

General Info

For healthcare professionals
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
PerioChip® should not be used in any patient who has a known sensitivity to chlorhexidine. Anaphylaxis, as well as serious allergic reactions, have been reported during postmarketing use with dental products containing chlorhexidine.

General Information

PerioChip® (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) 2.5mg is a small, orange-brown, rectangular chip (rounded at one end) that is indicated as an adjunct to scaling and root planing (SRP) procedures for reduction of pocket depth in patients with adult periodontitis. PerioChip® may be used as a part of a periodontal maintenance program, which includes good oral hygiene and periodic SRP.


PerioChip® is composed of 2.5 mg of Chlorhexidine Gluconate in a biodegradable matrix of hydrolyzed gelatin, cross-linked with glutaraldehyde that contains 36% Chlorhexidine. In vitro testing has shown that 40% of the dose is released in vitro within the first 24 hours, with the remaining 60% gradually following in the period of up to 10 days until the chip is entirely dissolved.

One PerioChip® is inserted into a periodontal pocket with probing pocket depth (PD) ≥ 5 mm. Up to 8 chips may be inserted in a single visit. Treatment is recommended to be administered once every three months in pockets with PD remaining ≥5 mm following SRP procedure.  Chlorhexidine reacts with the microbial cell surface, destroying the integrity of the cell membrane, penetrating the cell and precipitating the cytoplasm leading to cell death. Chlorhexidine is active against a broad spectrum of microbes.It maintains clinical effectiveness and has not been associated with changes in bacterialresistance in the oral cavity up to nine months after initial treatment.Studies with Periochip® showed reductions in the numbers of the putative periodontopathic organisms Porphyromonas (Bacteroides) gingivalis,Pervotella (Bacteroides) intermedia, Bacteroidse forsythus, and Campylobacter rectus (Wolinella recta) after placement of the chip. No overgrowth of opportunistic organisms or other adverse changes in the oral microbial ecosystem were noted.The relationship of the microbial findings to clinical outcome has not been established.